Re: [News] Is Windows "a Cancer" to GPL? Microsoft Subjected to GPL?

> ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 01 September 2007 19:12 : \____

>>> Pascal was the first P/L that I used. :-(
>>>
>> It is a fairly typical teaching language.
>
> I did some command-line (batch) before that, but Pascal was on the school's
> curriculum. It was fun and easy. Nowadays, programmers get replaced by the
> role which is system architect. Free software and reuse means that
> customisation and reuse (or even extension) are all that's needed. Of course,
> there are masochists like DFS who wish to reinvent the wheel, poorly.

Pascal was /not/ easy on a DEC-10.  A highly restrictive language, where
the size of an array was part of its type!

When I got to use C for the first time, what a breath of fresh air!

Of course, Borland later made Turbo Pascal, which removed a lot of the
teaching shit from Pascal and made it much easier to use.

(Then Borland innovated Delphi [Object Pascal], and then wedged it into
C++ with Borland Builder.  And now Erik "Spinner" Funkenbusch can use
Borland, a company that is a mere shadow of its former self, partly due
to predation of its brain-trust by Microsoft, as an example of a
"corporate implementation" of C#.  Too funny!)

--
Tux rox!