Re: [News] Federal Fight Against Linux and Free Software (Using Stereotypes)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Federal Fight Against Linux and Free Software (Using Stereotypes)
  • From: Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 00:03:24 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:aJfDlvOc4gSq2C6gpUKDXCKpYtY= sha1:pSp1d3CwMP2a+6q9i25RSwoxTbc=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> writes:

>> German and US researchers lay low, question just how far new law will go
>
> .----
> | The law doesn't actually distinguish between what the intended
> | purpose of a program is. It just says if you put a piece of code in
> | a disposition that is used to commit a crime, you're complicit in
> | that crime.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Moore notes that most Linux distros are now illegal in Germany as
> | well, because they include the open-source nmap security scanner tool
> | -- and some include Metasploit as well.
> `----
>
> So when are the German authorities going to arrest Ballmer & Co. for
> facilitating the creation and propagation of viruses and spam at the
> hands of Russian pharma gangsters?
>
> Is the German government so naive as to believe that the Windows OS, or
> any of the software therein, could not be used to commit crimes? Why is
> this judgement so heavily biased against Free Software?
>
> Someone could buy a retail copy of Vista; in that nice, shiny, sturdy,
> plastic box; and in a fit of frustration in trying to figure out how the
> Hell to open it, smash it over someone's head and kill them.
>
> Would Microsoft be culpable?
>
> Shouldn't Windows therefore be declared "illegal" since someone could
> obviously misuse it to commit a crime?

I doubt it since the Germans themselves are utilising it to spy on
people. Really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6973018.stm

,----
| German government plans to spy on terror suspects by deploying malicious
| e-mails have drawn sharp criticism.
|
| The e-mails would contain Trojans - software that secretly installs
| itself on suspects' computers, allowing agents to search the hard
| drives.
`----

Already the most bureaucratic state in Europe, it would seem that they
are, again, giving too much power to the powers that be.