[News] OpenOffice.org Takes a Firefox-like Route with Extensions

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org Takes a Firefox-like Route with Extensions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 06:11:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenOffice builds extensions for v2.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Suárez-Potts thinks the new release will appeal more than just open-source
| fanatics. "The Writer enhancements will appeal to consumers, but the Charting
| and Calc improvements will appeal to business people - and scientists," he
| said. "We're directly addressing small and medium-sized business as well as
| the enterprise market."
|
| Versions 2.3 is available for Windows, Linux, and Solaris, but Mac mavens
| won't get an update until sometime next year. "Mac users will soon have
| something that's better than, say, the Redmond competitor's product,"
| Suárez-Potts said. "Just to cite an example."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/20/openoffice_org_unveils_new_version_trumpeting_extensions/

OpenOffice.org2GoogleDocs

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/ooo2gd

Related:

Do you really need Sun Weblog Publisher?

,----[ Quote ]
| Suddenly, every application on the desktop seems to be adding a
| blogging extension. Sun Microsystems' offering is the Sun Weblog
| Publisher (SWP) for StarOffice and OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/12/1912230&from=rss

Microsoft Office rivals advance

,----[ Quote ]
| Rivals to Microsoft's Office productivity suite are sharpening up
| their game. The OpenOffice.org community is planning to add reports
| to its database, while SoftMaker is to extend its productivity
| line-up with a database, presentation tool and scripting language.
`----

http://www.pcw.co.uk/itweek/news/2188237/microsoft-office-rivals-advance

A new Spring season for OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| I found out that OpenOffice.org and Sun in general are in a much better
| shape than they were just 8 months ago. First, Sun is doing better
| financially and they have managed to go back to a volume of sales
| unprecedented since 2001. That's good news, because it means that
| the financial pressure has finally faded away. But Sun's new
| software strategy, which is to open source its whole software
| stack is apparently paying off and that means that OpenOffice.org
| (and ODF, to be sure) has become a central part of Sun's strategy.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/blogs/5/charles/a_new_spring_season_for_openofficeorg

The GravityZoo OOo porting project

,----[ Quote ]
| When OpenOffice.org is "GravityZood", it will become a suite of
| productivity applications that are always available, online, via a broad
| range of devices. It will be possible to share and collaborate in
| real-time, to switch from one device (e.g. a PC) to another (Mobile)
| device. There will also be no need to save data, because everything you
| produce is saved automatically on the network. There is no need to
| download, install or update, the latest version is just available and
| accessible from any GravityZoo enabled client.
`----

http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=19660

Next OpenOffice release to include Pentaho BI

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source business intelligence software vendor Pentaho Corp. is
| hoping a new tie-up unveiled Thursday with the OpenOffice.org
| community and Sun Microsystems Inc. will bring its BI offerings
| to the attention of many more new users.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/041907-next-openoffice-release-to-include.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/ywysvf

And the centre of your desktop is...

,----[ Quote ]
| We had an overwhelming response to our reader poll in this area with over
| 4,800 of you participating, so thanks to those who took the time.
|
| [...]
|
| The only competition at the moment is from open source office suites,
| OpenOffice in particular, which around one in five Reg readers are
| personally using.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/20/desktop_office_suites/

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html