Re: A question for John Bailo or any other COLA Republican

____/ TheLetterK on Wednesday 19 September 2007 17:25 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ____/ dapunka on Wednesday 19 September 2007 13:11 : \____

>>> A large number of Republicans, inc Bush's staff, are in Microsoft's
>>> pocket (as are a lot of Democratic politicos - when it comes to a
>>> fight between Mammon and ideals, Mammon nearly always triumphs).
>>>
>>> The European court's anti-Microsoft ruling will no doubt be challenged
>>> and battled by the US Govt.  And I fear that the result will be a
>>> severe dilution of that ruling's effects.  The USA has far too much
>>> influence over other jurisdictions.
>>>
>>> What I'd really like is for Microsoft to be banned from dealing in the
>>> European market.  Unfortunately, that's almost definately never gonna
>>> happen.  Drat their deep pockets and highly-influential shills!  I
>>> hate those MSes to pieces!
>>
>> Well, the Republican do damage to their image by turning a blind eye to
>> market abuse. Those short-term gains will end and can lead to recession when
>> countries like Holland drop Microsoft as a matter of principle, which they
>> do.
>
> I don't care about governments turning a blind eye to market "abuse". I
> care when the government is actively involved in the abuse.

In what way? I don't doubt it, but I wish to know how.

I can think of some things to consider here:

        * Back doors
        * Media companies (DRM that is only compatible with American products)
        * Forensics facilities

That's just software alone, but code is part of a bigger picture.

Does the government just turn a blind eye or is it actively involved (and it
so, at what level of capacity and how)?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
Swap:  1510068k total,   769224k used,   740844k free,    53556k cached