Re: Open Source Driver for ATI Radeon R5xx/R6xx

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 19 September 2007 17:30 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ Peter Köhlmann on Wednesday 19 September 2007 10:10 : \____

>>> BTW, it is SuSE partly because AMD has historical reasons for working
>>> with them, as SuSE did a lot of the 64bit-implementation for AMD64.
>>> Another reason why it is not simply "someone else would have done it"
>>>
>>> Here is some more background info
>>>
>>> http://egbert-e.livejournal.com/359.html
>>
>> Fair point. I would still say that the harms they bring outweigh the
>> benefits. There's no doubt about it -- Novell tries to help Linux too, but
>> some of the routes it takes are selfish and damaging to Linux /as a
>> whole/.
>>

> Well, Roy, *you* (and others) claim that Novell is "damaging linux".
> But so far I have seen nothing at all which would substantiate that claim.
> Just some wild speculations. Frankly, that is not very convincing

There are many ways in which Novell harms Linux and I wrote a lot about it. I
used to like Novell for its relationship with Linux, but its new relationship
with Microsoft now seems equally important to them (even if it means hurting
Linux for Novell's own, short-term benefit). If Novell kills its supplier, it
will be left with nothing. It's like selling your mom's blood for profit.

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.