Re: [News] Economist Thinks the World Would be Better Without Patents

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 14 September 2007 14:03 : \____

>> Open Source Patents
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Nice, creative idea. But note a few things. First, the OIN patent pooling
>>| approach relies on the patent monopoly to work, since the potential threat
>>| of a patent infringement lawsuit is what induces third parties to enter
>>| into the OIN license (on the other hand, without the patent monopoly, there
>>| would be no reason for OIN to exist).
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| In other words, it's similar to the situation that would exist in the
>>| absence of IP--without all the effort and waste to get a bunch of flaccid
>>| scraps of paper.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blog.mises.org/archives/007126.asp
>
> He's right, of course, it would be much better to scrap the whole
> system.  It's much abused, and fails to achieve the original intent in
> any case.
>

>> Related:
>>
>> When Patents Threaten Science
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Patents should not be used to protect laws of nature, products of
>>| nature, or mathematical formulas.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/314/5804/1395
>
> I completely agree with this.  How on earth can you patent a molecule,
> or an atom?  An electron, say?  A subatomic particle?  A living
> creature, a formula?  Maybe someone should patent pi and see what
> happens... I know it to 45 places (I was bored at school one maths
> lesson), would I have to pay a licence-fee when I recite it?

Patents are merely a mechanism for control, imperialism, and abuse. They are
created by rich people to keep the small investors away. Patents are not about
logic. They are about hierarchy.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows O/S: chmod a-x internet; kill -9 internet
 23:00:02 up 4 days, 21:06,  3 users,  load average: 1.88, 1.58, 1.58