Re: [News] Novell's "First-class Disaster" Bears Fruit... for Microsoft

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:31:09 +0100
<evcmr4-arq.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:

>> ,----[ Quite
>> | The 2,500-square-foot lab "will be home to a combined team of the best and
>> | brightest Microsoft and Novell engineers focused on making Windows Server and
>> | Suse Linux Enterprise from Novell," the companies said in a statement.
>> `----
>
> So it begins.
>
> Yesterday: "Cross License Agreement"
> Today:     "Combined Workforce"
> Tomorrow:  "Microsoft buys Novell"

The Day After: Microsoft amasses a huge SQL server database
   of all Linux users and starts overloading the USPS and
   process servers with nuisance lawsuits (except for
   those known to use only those distributions which
   Microsoft has signed indemnification agreements
   with; the agreement stipulates that they turn over
   their customer list so that Microsoft can, erm,
   verify their legitimacy, yeah, that's gotta be it,
   right?  As opposed to, say, selling Microsoft Office
   thereto...).  Surprising the hell out of everybody, the
   DB farm actually stays up long enough to finish the job,
   though some of the entries get slightly mangled during
   Microsoft's new combined auto-translation/copyright
   repair capability, which tends to replace the words
   "windows", "vista", and "ultimate" with "Microsoft
   Windows Vista Ultimate Edition", but it gets confused
   whenever it sees the word "basic".

   An emergency contingent of Marines is called in to
   help sort through the flood of mails -- since they're
   back from Iraq by then and have nothing better to do,
   right? -- and additional trucks at taxpayer expense
   are purchased, which later have to be abandoned
   because they're contaminated with formaldehyde.  Oops.
   Heck of a job, Brownie, or whoever your replacement
   was this week.

   Meanwhile, the courts, which are already rather clogged
   with lawsuits brought from the paycheck lenders, get
   inundated with responses, and additional Marines are
   dispatched over there so that we don't have to fight
   them over here.  Wait...how exactly did that go again?

   The President makes an emergency proclamation that
   everyone using Linux and older versions of Microsoft
   Windows is guilty of being a terrorist, and everyone
   is either deported to Cuba or switches to Microsoft
   Windows Vista Ultimate Edition with Microsoft Windows
   Vista Ultimate Edition Visual Basic Edition, and we all
   live happily ever after.

(Might as well have a fairy tale ending.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx -- insert random magic wand here
People think that libraries are safe.  They're wrong.  They have ideas.
(Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)