[News] Rumour: Cell-based Blu-ray-enabled Linux-ready PC for $400

  • Subject: [News] Rumour: Cell-based Blu-ray-enabled Linux-ready PC for $400
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:11:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Rumors of $400 PS3/'Spider-Man 3' Blu-ray bundle rev up

,----[ Quote ]
| And for all of you who hate Sony, just remember, at $400 (and even at $500)
| the company is taking a significant loss on each PS3 sold. So, if you really
| want to hurt Sony, buy a PS3 and don't ever buy a game or Blu-ray disc.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9775453-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Sony unveils new Blu-ray recorders to fight HD DVD

,----[ Quote ]
| The top-end machine of the four, which comes with a 500-GB hard disk drive,
| is expected to sell for about 200,000 yen ($1,752), roughly in line with
| Toshiba's flagship HD DVD recorder.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070912/sony_blu_ray.html?.v=1

Related:

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the
|     Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

Dump your PC and Get a PS3!

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you still running on a single core Intel with 256 MB of RAM and a nVidia
| 5200? You may be thinking it's time to upgrade that jalopy setup you have and
| go to the shiny, candy coated world of Vista. Whoa! Hold yer horses there,
| cowboy! A better option lies around the corner from a source you may not have
| expected: Your Playstation. Since late last year, Yellow Dog Linux (Made by
| Terra Soft Solutions) has been the official secondary operating system for
| Playstation 3 (GameOS is the default). Other versions of Linux have been
| confirmed as being compatible, including Ubuntu, Fedoro Core 7, Gentoo, and
| Debian but, I'm am unaware if they are as easy to install or if they even
| work as well as Yellow Dog.
`----

http://digitalgamer.blogspot.com/2007/09/dump-your-pc-and-get-ps3.html

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

PlayStation 3 beating Xbox 360 in Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony's much-maligned PlayStation 3 has defied the odds and has now outsold
| Microsoft's Xbox 360 in Europe for the fourth week in a row.
`----

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/gaming/games-consoles/news/playstation-3-beating-xbox-360-in-europe?articleid=263086201

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Ubuntu Linux and Symfony on a PlayStation 3

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://demenzia.net/2007/08/21/linux-and-symfony-on-a-ps3/