Re: Office software shootout: OpenOffice.org Writer vs. Microsoft Word

Verily I say unto thee, that Peter Köhlmann spake thusly:

> Seems that Word collects lots of garbage along the editing cycle
> without ever getting rid of it.

Redundant garbage is a fairly typical Microsoft trait; just take a peek
inside the Windows registry for an insight into that.

But then Microsoft excels at redundancy in many areas. The primary
example is how they are obsessed with reinventing wheels (usually
poorly) in order to try to monopolise them. Of course they wait for
others to do the hard work for them first, before executing their
standard hostile takeover strategy.

Unfortunately their toner-monkeys never quite seem up to the task of
maintaining other people's "acquired" code, and so the results are
invariably a shambles (e.g. RAV/OneCare). All that wasted money and
effort for something that simply isn't needed, just because Microsoft
/must/ dominate all things. It's sick.

Then once the poor Slopware victim finally comes to his senses, and
decides to eradicate that junk from his hard drive, the uninstall
process leaves yet more redundant garbage uncollected from the
filesystem, for some brain-dead reason, which must then be purged using
yet more third-party software (which should be unnecessary, and thus is
also redundant garbage).

Indeed, the phrase "redundant garbage" is a fairly poignant description
of Microsoft and most of their so-called "products".

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Proprietary licenses, the crack cocaine of software finance."
|  - Matt Asay, CNET

 01:57:15 up 34 days, 52 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.50, 0.36