Re: [News] AMD/ATI Open Specification Surprise Works Out for the Better!

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 11 September 2007 11:01 : \____

>> AMD: GPU Specifications Without NDAs!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| This morning at the X Developer Summit in the United Kingdom, Matthew
>>| Tippett and John Bridgman of AMD have announced that they will be releasing
>>| their ATI GPU specifications without any Non-Disclosure Agreements needed
>>| by the developers! In other words, their GPU specifications will be given
>>| to developers in the open.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA0Ng
>>
>> Wow. Let's see NVidia topping /that/. AMD is in the headlines at the moment
>> because of their new products...
>>

> This is very much about survival, I think.  Anyone know if there are any
> ATI cards supported by OSX for PPC macs?  I could replace the nVidia
> card in there and look to get openGL working in linux.  That would be
> super excellent.

67% of the graphics cards out there (roughly speaking) are now open source
(driver side). It was more like 0% last year, unless you used some of the more
experimental projects.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Citrix: device for turning XenSource into XenSoft
Tasks: 110 total,   1 running, 109 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie