Re: Linux users and COLA posters blatantly break the law

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Robin T Cox spake thusly:
>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:13:36 -0400, Ms. Polly Ester wrote:
>
>>> Here we see that two of the major scumbags on COLA are sharing one
>>> internet connection between them.
>
> You stupid twat.
>
> Look at the "path:" again.
>
> Mark is obviously running a leafnode, just like I am. Apparently he has
> granted Roy access to /his/ machine (not to an ISP uplink) to post
> messages to /that/ that machine, which are then subsequently forwarded
> by /Mark's/ leafnode server. This is /not/ the same thing as sharing an
> Internet subscription. If /I/ allowed incoming connections to port 119
> on my server, I could do /exactly/ the same thing.

Well, yeah, that's it.  I have two ADSL providers, with 3 ADSL lines
(two are from the same provider).  I multiplex them outbound using "ip
rules", which serves to spread the load nicely.  I have three different
inbound/outbound usenet providers, and a further five inbound-only
providers, ie., my leafnode can post to three providers but reads
from eight.  This helps to keep very up to date, and also protects for
those times when particular servers go down for one reason or another.

Myself and my kids host several different servers here at different
times, including games servers and such like, and I even tried running
an open-http-proxy for some time, and was amazed at how quickly it was
found and how much traffic it got.  I shut it down in the end, and since
then, most ISPs here have essentially banned them.

I allow certain people ssh access to machines on my network, the nature
of the access varies depending on who they are.  In some cases, it's
shell access, in some cases, I provide http proxying (including for
myself when I'm out and about), and in some cases, port 119 forwarding.

> What a fuckwit.
>
>> Bullshit.
>
> It's also gross hypocrisy coming from Flatty, who is one of the most
> prolific abusers of open proxies I've ever witnessed. At least Roy has
> Mark's /permission/.

Indeed he has, and my ISP gives permission for me to run servers.