[News] [Rival] Vista's Latest Security Issues, Customer Backlash

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Vista's Latest Security Issues, Customer Backlash
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:47:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Deceptive file names under Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Attackers can use Unicode character codes under Windows Vista to conceal
| filenames and filename extensions. A demonstration by Max Ried makes an
| executable screen-saver file (.scr) look like a harmless image (.jpg).
`----

http://www.heise-security.co.uk/news/96498

Filenames define action/handler. A recipe for disaster.

Vista Ultimate buyers fume over missing Extras

,----[ Quote ]
| "The truth is, customers are getting near to nothing [from Extras]," Zheng
| said Sunday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;676914797

"Extra" for "extra ripoff".

Related:

Vista Ultimate users will have to wait for “extras”

,----[ Quote ]
| Tomorrow is the beginning of the fall and end of summer 2007. That means time
| is running out for Microsoft’s promise to release new  extras to Vista
| Ultimate users.
`----

http://zmolklife.com/ejoh/2007/09/21/vista-ultimate-users-will-have-to-wait-for-extras/

The Death of Windows Vista Extras

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line is that the Ultimate Extras team has gone underground.
| Microsoft cannot expect Ultimate users to survive on a preview of Windows
| DreamScene with an outdated Content Pack and two Windows Vista wallpapers.
| For $399, Microsoft has to cough up palpable results.
|
| But so far, all is dead on the Ultimate Extras front. Even the blog went
| quiet after mid March, and I have a feeling that silence from the Ultimate
| Extras team is not what Ultimate users want to "hear."
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Death-of-Windows-Vista-Extras-57300.shtml

Nine burning questions about how Vista is really doing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9021838
http://tinyurl.com/2u6gzq