Re: [News] REALbasic 2007 for Linux is Cheaper; Example of Software That Runs in Linux Only

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sir Michael Clayton
<clayton@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:31:03 -0400
<46f8047d$0$26468$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> First Look: REALbasic 2007 Gets Linux Support
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>professional
>>>the
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=21287
>>
>> Umm, interesting.  Clearly, Linux is now being seen as the entry-system
>> for nascent programmers.
>
> So does RealBasic give you the FULL source code to their product or only
> some evil binary blob?  Since one can't trust binary blobs because they may
> contain malware I doubt many linux users bother with this product.

The REALbasic license agreement (/usr/portage/licenses/REALbasic)
does not allow for REALbasic or REALbasic framework modification.

For a freer alternative, check out Gambas.  The blue lobster is
silly but the license is straight GPL-2.

Mono has a mono-basic package, which apparently is licensed under
GPL-2, LGPL-2, or X11 (all three are mentioned in the .ebuild file).
This appears to be a runtime library affair, as opposed to a freeware
version of 'BASIC#'.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }