Re: The 'Distro" argument.

____/ Handover Phist on Sunday 23 September 2007 20:46 : \____

> I hear this one quite a bit. Linux has too many distros, why so many?
> Probably the same reason there's so many different types of wines,
> personal taste.

Think of this as celebrities. You can care about 'top-tier' celebrities (I
don't care for them BTW), but you can follow gossip about local people who are
well known. Nobody is forcing you to choose.

The same goes for television and film. You can watch a homemade video on
YouTube, go and watch an indie film in the local cinema, or watch a $100
million-budget Hollywood film.

Sometimes, the simple things are actually more enjoyable and you get to know
those involved closer, if not even help (retro can be more enjoyable than
cutting-edge FPSs, because of gameplay).

Untouchables are those whom you cannot praise for a good film.... or a distro.
There is nothing as rewarding as being a part of the software you use and even
contribute some code ('DNA') to it. When I use WordPress, for example, I feel
like a part of it.

> Linux users are very much aficianados of operating systems, we've tasted
> many of them and often choose a favorite, but like to switch up once in
> awhile. Ocassionally we like to brew our own, just to see what we can
> come up with, what complexities and flavors we can coax out of the
> available ingredients.
>
> Some folks go to the liquor store, pick up a bottle of Eau De Plonk and
> are happy with it. Good for them. That doesn't mean the rest of us are
> going to settle. For some of us, the plonk just isn't good enough.
>
> To tie the theme of this little post up, I'll use Windows, but only when
> I'm in the mood to and it's the most appropriate for the situation. It's
> not a craft product, it's a commercial product, and it's flavors all
> seem very similar. Craft products tend to have more complex and subtle
> flavors.

Windows is to wine what Coca Cola is to a dinner at a fine restaurant.

.oʍʇ sɐ buıɥʇ ɥɔns ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'ɹǝpuǝq 'ʎɹɹoʍ ʇ,uop :ʎɹɟ
.oʍʇ ɐ ʍɐs ı ʇɥbnoɥʇ ı puɐ ...ǝɹǝɥʍʎɹǝʌǝ soɹǝz puɐ sǝuo .ɯɐǝɹp 1nɟʍɐ uɐ
ʇɐɥʍ 'ɥɥɥɐ :ɹǝpuǝq
 23:00:02 up 13 days, 21:06,  5 users,  load average: 1.87, 2.13, 2.60