Re: [News] Review of the Latest Ark Linux and Why Linux is Succeeding

> Review: Ark Linux H2O 2007.1
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Overall Ark is a pretty decent OS for the new user.  It's got some
> rather
> | bothersome show stopping bugs that need to be worked out before I can
> | recommend it to new users, but like any little lump of coal, at some
> point in
> | time it's going to turn into a little gem.  So there is a lot of hope
> there
> | for the future.  Depending on how well Ark matures over the coming
> months and
> | years, especially in how it handles hardware, I can't really see where
> this
> | particular distribution couldn't easily find its way onto my short list
> of
> | recommended distributions for the new user.  It's certainly got the
> | potential.
> `----

>From the review:

Next I tested peripheral support to see how well it would handle some of the
extras items I found listed in the control center.  One of those was a
digital camera.  While I only had a Kodak C330 easy share to test with, it
didn't matter.  Ark never saw it.  Nor did it see the joystick I tried
either, even though both of these were listed as items in the control center
that Ark supported.

I found USB support to be shaky at best.  I plugged in a pen drive to copy
over a few files and ended up fighting Ark to get it to handle the drive
properly.  At one point during my testing it even zeroed out a few test
files on the drive and in another instance it completely wiped the contents
of the drive.  Not very reassuring in my opinion.

I did a little surfing around to see if I was the only one having this issue
and was surprised to find that I'm not.  Several others who tried Ark
encountered the same issues.

Digging further I found that Ark saw both of my cd and dvd drives.  The
downside to that is Ark thought they were hard drives and couldn't mount
them.  As a side effect to that, the system couldn't play any audio cd's or
dvd's.

To further grind the knife in I found that wireless didn't work right at
all, and most of the USB devices, including wireless mice (wired mice seemed
to be the only USB item that *DID* work), had issues on the system.  Some of
them pretty severe and show stopping.

Also, Ark failed to properly detect several other pieces of hardware on my
system as well, including my video and network cards, both of which are
mainstream cards that are well supported.

As for the network card, while I found that it had added the network card, I
could do nothing on the network.

**** But aside from the hardware issues, on a software level, Ark is a very
good system.  ****

What a joke. Nothing works but the spinmeister concludes that "Ark is a very
good system."

It's like the old joke - "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy
the play?"