Re: [News] Linux Beats Vista "Ultimate" Edition to It (Animated Wallpaper)

> [...]
>> want to update it every so often, start it with this command line (you
>> need to be in the directory ~/liveweb for it to work!)
>>
>> $ while true; do sh ./active-desktop; sleep 120; done
>>
>> This will update the page every 2 minutes, thus you have a real active
>> desktop.
>>
>> The wonderful thing with the whole unix design is that it's modularity
>> and flexibility allows you to do pretty much anything.  If you want to
>> get really cute, you could write a baby script which plays a jpeg-based
>> video animation on your root window for 5 minutes, and then displays a
>> web page for a few minutes, and so on.  All this, using standard tools,
>> without even needing to start up a compiler.
>>
>> Obviously, programmes like htmldoc and wget have all manner of options
>> which can be used to optimise the rendering.  I leave you to read the
>> man pages as you wish.
>
> You can use the versatile ImageMagick library to achieve a lot more. Here's my
> 10-minutes cron:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
>    # set display (to make cron job work)
>

> ###################################
> # Get current virtual desktop
>
> import -window root ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg
>    # capture display
> mogrify -resize 25% -border 3 ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg
>    # save to temporary file so as to avoid full-sized
>    # image from being public for a second
> convert ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg  -font Bookman-DemiItalic -pointsize
> 20 -fill gray -stro
> ke white -draw "text 40,20 '`date` - schestowitz.com'"
> ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg
> convert ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg  -font Bookman-DemiItalic -pointsize
> 20 -fill darkblue -
> stroke blue -draw "text 42,22 '`date` - schestowitz.com'"
> ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg
> cp ~/public_html/screen.jpeg ~/public_html/screen-previous.jpeg
>    # save the previous screenshot
> mv ~/public_html/screen-temp.jpeg ~/public_html/screen.jpeg
>    # below are bits that write information to a simple text file
>

> ###################################
> # Grab pager with 8 virtual desktops
>
> import -window root -crop 1085x200+2738+1270 ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg
>    # save to temporary file (unneeded)
> mogrify -resize 75% -border 3 ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg
> convert ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg  -font Bookman-DemiItalic -pointsize
> 16 -fill black -stro
> ke black -draw "text 205,18 '`date` - schestowitz.com'"
> ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg
> convert ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg  -font Bookman-DemiItalic -pointsize
> 16 -fill white -stro
> ke blue -draw "text 206,19 '`date` - schestowitz.com'"
> ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg
> cp ~/public_html/pager.jpeg ~/public_html/pager-previous.jpeg
>    # save the previous pager screenshot
> mv ~/public_html/pager-temp.jpeg ~/public_html/pager.jpeg
>    # below are bits that write information to a simple text file

A good set of stuff!  Note thought that "display" above *is* part of
imagemagick!

while true
do {
	cd ~/liveweb
	rm -r news.bbc.co.uk
	wget -p --convert-links news.bbc.co.uk
	cd news.bbc.co.uk
	htmldoc --right 20 --left 20 --size 720x900 --no-compression --fontsize 16 --charset iso8859-1 --embedfonts --fontspacing 1.2 --bodycolor grey --textfont times --bodyfont helvetica --header 0 --footer 0 --format pdf13 --jpeg 0 --color --webpage -f index.pdf index.html
	convert index.pdf index.jpg
	montage index-{0,1}.jpg -frame 10 -geometry 720x900+5+5 montage.jpg
	display -window root montage.jpg
	}
sleep 120
done

This puts the two pages of the BBC news site onto my desktop root
window, side by side, with some nice borders around them.  It's quite
neat!