Re: [News] Linux Beats Vista "Ultimate" Edition to It (Animated Wallpaper)

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 21 September 2007 10:21 : \____

> The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
>><mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:47:08 +0100
>><s7aas4-339.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Mr. Doug Hoel <dhoel@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> 1997?  X-windows-system had a changeable root-window years before that.
>>> It must be frustrating working for Microsoft, where all you get to do is
>>> copy what's out there.
>>>

>> As a second note: Amiga was more innovative than X
>> in this regard; a screen could hold multiple backdrop
>> windows (though the subsequent ones were invisible, being
>> covered up -- multiple backdrops is not all that useful a
>> capability, really, though multiple screens were, as one
>> could drag them around), and these were, apart from the
>> border, full-fledged windows capable of having requesters,
>> gadgets, and events [*].  (In Amiga, like in Windows,
>> there was no concept of a window manager; windows were
>> expected to decorate themselves with provided bordering
>> specifications, though a specialized title bar and sizing
>> flag trapped mouse events and handled resizing.)
>>
>> In X the window manager has to get involved, and I'd
>> have to research the details (it may differ within Qt
>> and Gtk/Gdk); in Amiga Intuition this was automatic (or,
>> more precisely, Intuition handled most of the details).
>
> See my other posting on this.  The display programme can render anything
> on the root window in X, which means that you can display videos,
> web-pages, or anything else.  I included a couple of simple shell scripts
> as proof of concept, and am right now, here, looking at the BBC News
> pages being rendered on my root window every couple of minutes, as an
> "active desktop", just using a few simple unix commands.

Could do a quick GTK/Qt GUI within hours to wrap up this little scripts, sort
out the dependency and put it up on a repo. Voila! KDE/GNOME have Active
Desktop right there for point-and-clickers. Modularity pays off. Development
is fast and the outcome robust.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open the Gate$ to Hell