Re: [News] A Couple of Months Remain to Eliminate OOXML's ISO for Corruption

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 09 April 2008 09:57 : \____

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Apps/IBM-Open-Source-Expert-Criticizes-Standards-Process/

>> Could an Appeal Derail OOXML?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Meanwhile, the normal ISO process means that OOXML will not become an
>>| official standard until at least the two-month waiting period runs out.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3738336
>>

> We need Dr Simon Pugh MP and opposition leader David Cameron MP to focus
> on the shenanigans at the BSI which resulted in it changing its position
> at the very last moment.
>
> There should be an investigation into this, and at the very least, the
> UK should indicate to ISO that it's vote is not to be trusted until the
> facts have been established regarding why there was a very late change
> in position, just after a Microsoft partner had got involved.
>
> Furthermore, a similar investigation should be made into the British
> Library's position, as well as the BBC.  These are publicly funded
> bodies, and should not be promoting the proprietary technologies of
> foreign companies.

There's a response from the BSI. Yesterday Groklaw put up a pointer to
their 'damage control' page, which contains contradictory statements therein.
I haven't published a pointer here, but some people are looking closely at
this and so does the Commission, which probably has some major action coming.
Aside from that, several European nations appear to be steering away from
OOXML as a matter of principle. There are clues in the EC Web site.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
         run-level 2  2008-03-19 11:51                   last=