[News] Windows Viruses to Exceed 1,000,000 in Number, Linux Users Pay the Toll

The Dirty Secret Behind 1,000,000 Viruses

,----[ Quote ]
| But there's something missing in this paragraph – and, indeed, in the whole
| story: it's the word “Windows”. This is the dirty secret behind viruses: they
| are overwhelmingly found on Windows systems. The huge, global cost of viruses
| is just one of the hidden extra fees that we all, collectively, must pay when
| others use Microsoft Windows. Pity Microsoft doesn't use some of its
| extensive cash holdings to compensate victims of its poor coding.
|
| Now, of course, if all the world used GNU/Linux, that wouldn't mean that
| viruses would cease to exist: the focus of malware would shift, and viruses
| would become more common for that system too. But you can bet they'd be far
| harder to write, and that there would be far less than a million.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=685

Also an example of budget and productivity drain:

Symantec receives EU research funds

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Worldwide Observatory of Malicious Behaviours and Attack Threats"
| (WOMBAT) project will examine the existing and emerging threats to the
| internet economy and its users over the next three years. Symantec has
| already set up a new research lab in Sophia Antipolis in France for this
| purpose.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106109/from/rss09

Related:

Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
| in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has warned.
|
| The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very concerned"
| about the growth in "phishing".

Study: Billions of dollars spent on security

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2110-7350_3-6135989.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news