[News] [Rival] Apple's Shovelware Annoys System Admins

Companies Struggle as Safari Pops Up on Networks

,----[ Quote ]
| Because of the way Apple had configured the update, anyone who clicked OK
| automatically installed the company's Web browser. Most users thought that
| Safari was simply a component of the Apple software they'd already installed,
| Wilson said.
|
| "This is not good; this is a security risk," he said. "We're a bank."
|
| Wilson said it has taken him the better part of a week to remove Safari from
| his network and prevent it from being reinstalled.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144162/companies_struggle_as_safari_pops_up_on_networks.html

It's somewhat of a case against Firefox anyway. Apple get flak for this binary
shove.

Recent:

Mozilla CEO Criticizes Apple's Stealth Safari Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Lilly doesn't have a problem with Apple using its software update utility to
| keep its users up-to-date with iTunes and QuickTime, or any other Apple
| software they may have installed. The problem for Lilly is that even if you
| don't have Safari installed, Apple pushes the update to users and checks
| the "install" box by default.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143752-pg,1/article.html

Apple pushes Safari on Windows via iTunes updater

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has started offering Windows users its Safari 3.1 Web browser through
| the same online updater it utilizes for iTunes and the QuickTime video
| player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9900456-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Apple faces suit over iPod-iTunes link

,----[ Quote ]
| As if its options woes weren't trouble enough, Apple Computer Inc.
| said Friday it is facing several federal lawsuits, including one
| alleging the company created an illegal monopoly by tying iTunes
| music and video sales to its market-leading iPod portable players.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061230/ap_on_hi_te/apple_lawsuits

EU takes aim at Apple over iTunes

,----[ Quote ]