[News] New Liability Rules Could Make UNIX/Linux More Attractive

New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software

,----[ Quote ]
| The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
| customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
| anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses took
| effect on Monday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/

With unpatched vulnerabilities and AV software becoming ineffective, what will
this mean? Some people will switch to Linux or buy Macs. See the reference
below about Linux Live CDs for banking.

This is also good news because rather than sharing the burden (cost of damage)
people will suffer from their own choice of shoddy software.

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Related:

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

Secure web browsing through Live Linux distros

,----[ Quote ]
| Banking isn't the be-all and end-all: there's many other reasons you'd
| want a secure system, separate from what's on the hard disk, besides
| Internet banking. Traveller's can't necessarily trust the integrity of
| a computer in an Internet cafe.

Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

,----[ Quote ]