[News] [Rival] Windows Vista Critically Vulnerable Until Next Week

MS keeps admins busy with critical Vista patches

,----[ Quote ]
| The critical updates cover a brace of bugs in Internet Explorer, a pair on
| Windows and one involving Office. All five might lend themselves to remote
| execution of malicious software on vulnerable clients.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/ms_qt_opera_patch_summary/

In the mean time, Vista and Server 2008 can just sit down and pray they don't
get hijacked, waiting for patches that address **known** vulnerabilities (and
possibly will break the system, which is a monthly recurrence for Vista).

Recent:

Microsoft Admits Vista Update Glitch

,----[ Quote ]
| A patch to prepare for first service pack went to users of editions that
| didn't need the update.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,141317/article.html

Vistas first 2008 ‘reliability’ update blue screens

,----[ Quote ]
| After my laptop installed the batch of updates released on the 9th of January
| my laptop began endlessly rebooting. It blue screens as soon as is starts to
| load Vista. To make things even better even safe mode does the same thing.
`----

http://grantusmaximus.com/web/2008/01/11/vistas-first-2008-reliability-update-blue-screens/

Vista Update Craters Microsoft Word

,----[ Quote ]
| Keeping your software up to date is very important from a security
| perspective, but when doing so blows away your productivity because of poor
| installation or compatibility quality issues, life is very painful.
|
| Microsoft. You get a grade of F for this round of patches.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/23685

Patch Tuesday brings quiet though serious start to 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft wasn't joking when it classified as critical one of the
| vulnerabilities addressed by this month's security updates. A flaw in TCP/IP
| processing can be exploited by sending maliciously crafted packets, giving
| the attacker complete control of the targeted system.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16016/1054/

2008 kicks off with critical Vista/XP patch

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15956/53/