[News] [Rival] Microsoft's 'Laptop of Shame' Tossed by eBay

eBay Yanks Sale of Hacked Vista Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Macaulay, a researcher with the Security Objectives consultancy, was one of
| two hackers to claim laptops and cash prizes for penetrating systems during
| last week's contest. Organizers offered Vista, Mac OS and Linux-based laptops
| for the taking, along with prizes that varied from US$5,000 to $20,000,
| depending on the difficulty of the exploit. By Friday, however, only the
| Linux laptop remained unbreached.

Last week:

With Vista breached, Linux unbeaten in hacking contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The MacBook Air went first; a tiny Fujitsu laptop running Vista was hacked on
| the last day of the contest; but it was Linux, running on a Sony Vaio, that
| remained undefeated as conference organizers ended a three-way computer
| hacking challenge Friday at the CanSecWest conference.

Why Linux is More Secure Than Windows

,----[ Gist ]
| Much better patch management tools...
| Much stronger default configuration...
| Modular Design...
| Better tools to protect against zero-day attacks...
| Open Source Architecture...
| Diverse Environment...

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

The Structural Failures of Windows