[News] Sun Recommends FOSS in Government, HP Gives FOSS Management Tools

Sun founder extols open source for government

,----[ Quote ]
| Scott McNealy, founder of Sun Microsystems and chairman of the company's
| federal division, told agency officials today that open-source software based
| on open standards provides the security, interoperability and low cost that
| government needs.
`----

http://www.fcw.com/online/news/152093-1.html

HP's New FOSSology Solution Helps Companies with Open Source Governance

,----[ Quote ]
| Hewlett Packard (HP) has developed a new tool called FOSSology that enables
| assistance in open source governance. The solution is capable of determining
| licensure details for a given open source project.
`----

http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/24256-hps-new-fossology-solution-helps-companies-with-open.htm

"Pearly Gates and Em-Ballmer
    One promises you heaven and the other prepares you for the grave. "

                                        --Ray Noorda, Novell

Related:

Indians are mavericks: Scott McNealy

,----[ Quote ]
| "The technology we have today will be obsolete in 18 months, so why not
| share it? Why to litigate and protect your IP. Instead share, publish
| and document it openly. At Sun, our strategy has always been towards
| the open environment, be it the source, business or communities.
| Around 25 per cent of Linux is Sun," he said while explaining
| that proprietary standards stifle progress.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/2007/107051708.asp

Sun's McNealy Calls for Merger of OASIS/ISO's ODF and China's UOF

,----[ Quote ]
| But the conference is also timely in that McNealy took a meaningful
| amount of time during his presentation to note that there are (in his
| words) three main document formats in existence today: Microsoft Office,
| Open Document Format (ODF) and China's Uniform Office Format (UOF). And
| he also called for the last two to be merged.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070417025728436

McNealy touts open-source education site

,----[ Quote ]
| McNealy said he is particularly concerned about developing countries
| where network infrastructure is sparse, and he is encouraging
| local governments to boost network spending and adopt Curriki's
| open-source education model.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_on_bi_ge/sun_mcnealy

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/sun_ceo_proprie.html