Re: [News] Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge

____/ High Plains Thumper on Wednesday 02 April 2008 01:15 : \____

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080401/ap_on_hi_te/linux_pcs;_ylt=AmMkrzVz2.r6AtxNXqhj8RJk24cA

> or http://tinyurl.com/2gjkgm
>
> [quote]
> Time is right for Linux PCs to emerge
>
> By BRIAN BERGSTEIN, AP Technology Writer Tue Apr 1, 4:23 PM ET
>
> BOSTON - The free Linux operating system handles big tasks like
> running supercomputers and ATMs. Now Linux has a chance to
> finally crack Microsoft Corp.'s hold on computing's most visible
> domain — mainstream PCs — because of the rise of innovative,
> inexpensive machines.
>
> <....>
>
> Business computing suppliers are finding open-source desktops
> especially gaining traction in cost-conscious developing markets.
> For example, a PC distributor in Eastern Europe is packaging
> software from IBM Corp. and Linux vendor Red Hat Inc. to create
> Microsoft-free desktops for that market.
>
> One buyer is Aleksandar Spagnut, a director of Moscow-based
> Rushotel, which needed new desktop PCs for a hotel-building
> project. Spagnut said his company saved 30 to 35 percent over
> comparable Windows machines. He added that Linux PCs are now
> common enough that a snowball effect is emerging, whereby
> technical support and "drivers" — which essentially tell programs
> how to interact with hardware — are much easier to find.
>
> "This really makes the difference," he said.
> [/quote]

It speaks mainly about the low-end machines, but not much about the
smartphones, various devices and supercomputers where Linux puts Windows to
great shame. Of course, Microsoft knows all of this and that's why it fears
Linux so much (an article showed this about a year ago, but I can't think
how/where to find it now).

Failing to compete, muck raking is all Microsoft will have left. Rigging votes,
astroturfing, intimidation, protection rackets, etc.

The above are signs that Microsoft's days as dominant on the desktop (the only
area where it succeeded) are numbered.

Just watch the company reaching out for a loan:

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

With the Web (Live), Windows Mobile, XBox, Zune and so many other products
losing literally $billions, it's hardly surprising that Microsoft is running
low on cash. It can't even fight copyrights infringement (Windows, Office) in
the vast majority of the countries because that would drive more people to
GNU/Linux, which takes 20 minutes to install on /existing/ hardware (unlike
Macs).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
Swap:  1510068k total,   454388k used,  1055680k free,    65844k cached