[News] Free Software Regulated by the User/Customer

Software & Energy (and no, this is not a green post)

,----[ Quote ]
| So here's the analogy: open source companies are much like regulated energy
| companies, although they are regulated not by governments, but by communities
| and customers. Red Hat's solid business is "regulated" by the Linux community
| and open source software licenses, and the level of service expected by its
| customers.
|
| [...]
|
| I think the future looks similar to the energy industry: large technology
| companies will have a mix of regulated and unregulated businesses, that
| maximizes the advantages of both. For standard, widely-used technologies,
| open source "regulation" makes sense because it lowers development costs and
| provides a standards-based, predictable subscription base of business.
`----

http://marketingfree.typepad.com/marketingfree/2008/03/software-energy.html

Related:

EU regulator: Let consumers pick telecom standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140471.html