[News] Open Solutions Alliance Members Distances Themselves from Microsoft

Open Solutions Alliance Looking for Momentum Boost

,----[ Quote ]
| Politics of a familiar sort has reared its head as well, according to
| Sartorio. While many companies want to integrate open-source elements with
| the Microsoft stack, that reality has clashed somewhat within the OSA's
| ranks, he said. "They say, 'Look, be careful what you do with Microsoft. ...
| I don't want to be part of an open-source movement that is working closely
| with Microsoft.'"
|
| "The challenge at Microsoft is the old guard is trying to keep Wall Street
| happy and their revenues flowing in a predictable way," he said, but the
| company is on the whole "not monolithic" in its thinking regarding open
| source.
|
| "There aren't any specific plans between OSA and Microsoft," he added. "It's
| a matter of ongoing dialogue."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144798/open_solutions_alliance_looking_for_momentum_boost.html

Microsoft tried to join them before and got rejected as it should. This group
has just added Excel output (should do ODF instead):

Collabtive updates open source project management

,----[ Quote ]
| Collabtive is a PHP-MySQL application that uses JavaScript for an Ajax-like
| Web interface.
|
| The application is licensed under the GPL and can be downloaded from
| Sourceforge.net
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;631903789;fp;2;fpid;1

Recent:

No Justification Need

,----[ Quote ]
| What's at the forefront of my crabbiness is the almost-complete capture of
| the Open Source Business Conference's news cycle by Brad Smith's presence at
| that conference left me wondering who else was even there this week, other
| than Smith, Matt Asay, and a few pundits and luminaries. In a nicely done
| spin for the media, OSBC suddenly became about how Microsoft braved the
| lion's den, instead of the real progress a lot of companies are making in
| open source development and business.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-03-28-020-26-OP-SW

All That Got Stolen Was Microsoft's Thunder

,----[ Quote ]
| The best response I've seen was from Jonathan Corbet at a panel at the Open
| Source Business Conference in San Francisco last May. Corbet is a Linux
| kernel developer himself and executive editor of the Linux Weekly News.
|
| "I feel I've been called a thief," he said levelly during a panel at the
| event, and pointed out that Microsoft was one of the companies that had
| patented "thousands of trivial functions ... There's no way to write a
| nontrivial program that can't be claimed to infringe on someone's patents."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/message_to_brad.html

Brad Smith continues its FUD spreading, wants to tax RedHat

,----[ Quote ]
| Brad Smith continues its FUD spreading, wants to tax RedHat. The only
| solution for Microsoft to tax linux is software patents. Microsoft wants to
| render GPL free software non-free. The message is clear.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft needs to be sued more often, because in their current position they
| still believe too much in a patent system where no software developer has
| ever used a patent to write a computer program.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-49513/brad-smith-continues-its-fud-spreading-wants-to-tax-redhat

Microsoft's dilemma: The importance of the downstream

,----[ Quote ]
| To work within the open-source community, which Microsoft will absolutely
| have to do if it wants to remain relevant in the 21st century of the Web,
| Microsoft must stop polluting the downstream with patent encumbrances.
| Period. Full stop. Microsoft is not alone in being threatened by open source.
| Everyone is to a greater or lesser extent, including open-source companies.
| MySQL's biggest competitor is not Oracle. It is fee-free use of MySQL. Ditto
| for other open-source companies.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9899201-16.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft