[News] Indian Goverment Warms About Proprietary Quicktime, FOSS Looks Good

Government issues threat note on Windows, Apple Quicktime

,----[ Quote ]
| The government has issued a high-security threat note against popular
| applications including Windows Vista, XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003,
| Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Project Microsoft Visio Internet Explorer and
| the Quicktime software from Apple as they have been found highly vulnerable
| to virus attacks.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Government_issues_threat_note_on_Windows_Apple/articleshow/2957870.cms

The government should also warn its citizens about the lock-ins and the
software patents/license, not just the security which obscurity makes abysmal
(and unpatchable without the vendor). On the other hand:

New Inkscape 0.46 is good news

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 0.46 of the open source vector graphics editor Inkscape is out,
| showcasing new tools, new effects, new filters, and a host of interface and
| speed improvements.
|
| [...]
|
| Believe it or not, the improvements and new features described above only
| account for a fraction of what's new in Inkscape 0.46. There is considerably
| more outlined in the official release notes that either I haven't had the
| time to test, haven't figured out how to test, or just ran out of space to
| talk about.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132010

Related:

Inkscape 0.46 Released !

,----[ Quote ]
| The sources were already available at SourceForge.net for two weeks but now
| it is official: version 0.46 of Inkscape has been released.
`----

http://meetthegimp.org/inkscape-046-released/

Inkscape Drawing Program Brings Joy to Many

,----[ Quote ]
| Inkscape is a free vector drawing program that brings joy and robust drawing
| tools to millions of people who could never afford Adobe Illustrator. You can
| use Inkscape for fun or for thousands of different practical purposes
| including designing your own business card, CD cover, advertising layout, and
| countless other tasks.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/08/inkscape_drawin.html

Inkscape Tutorial - The Sun