[News] Free Software-based Web Services Gain Attraction

New Collaboration App Opens Service to Public

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday we received a press release announcing the public release of
| Dimdim, a new open-source tool for online meetings. We've been testing some
| similar products of late so this caught our eye.
|
| [...]
|
| The United Nations and Amnesty International are among the global
| organizations now using Dimdim, as is a major U.S. university, which has made
| the service available to the entire faculty and student body. There has also
| been extensive uptake in the distance learning community, including
| moodle.com.
`----

http://www.voipplanet.com/news/article.php/3740256

I Don’t Want Source Code; I Want App Tone

,----[ Quote ]
| Even the open-source movement is feeling the change: Recent modifications to
| the third revision of the GNU Public License recognize that it’s the service,
| not the source code, that has value — and that any user of the service has
| the rights to its source code. IP-protection firm Palamida’s GPLv3 blog says
| that “in a SaaS arrangement…the opportunity to receive such source code must
| be prominently offered to all users who interact with the program remotely
| over a computer network.”
`----

http://gigaom.com/2008/04/16/does-source-code-matter/

"If the operating system is in fact a natural monopoly, then what could be
better than having an operating system that nobody owns?"

                                                      --James Love

Recent:

Moodle - the open source software that's getting serious

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.onrec.com/newsstories/21153.asp