[News] Suns Double-speak: Preaches Open While Turning Back on MySQL Users

Sun`s `Open`-Door Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's Schwartz and Green discuss how the company is leveraging open source to
| make new enterprise inroads.
|
| Sun Microsystems President and CEO Jonathan Schwartz and Executive Vice
| President for Software Rich Green run what is now the largest
| open-source-based IT infrastructure company in the world.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Suns-OpenDoor-Policy/

MySQL reserves features for paying customers; open-source community up in arms

,----[ Quote ]
| Officials at Sun Microsystems Inc., which acquired MySQL in February,
| confirmed that new online backup capabilities now under development will be
| offered only to MySQL Enterprise customers — not to the much larger number of
| users of the free MySQL Community edition.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9078358

MySQL and "commercial extensions:" Core, complements, and semantics

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps it's just a matter of semantics (Marc Fleury certainly believes it
| is), but I think MySQL would have been wiser (at least as an interim step) to
| adopt Red Hat's model rather than don the hairshirt over commercial
| extensions, without clearly defining what this means.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9920944-16.html

Related:

Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/112907-sun-opends.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news