[News] OptNgn Embraces the GPLv3, Intellectual Monopolies Go Mad

Start-up OptNgn Offers a Floating Point VHDL Library as Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| OptNgn today announced that it is offering a floating point VHDL library
| under the GPLv3 Open Source License.
`----

http://www.us.design-reuse.com/news/18062/floating-point-vhdl-library-open-source.html

Rules need a re-write, say IP experts at forum

,----[ Quote ]
| In software, experts on an open source panel agreed that the latest GPL
| version 3 license has fueled fears among large corporations who say some of
| its provisions could put many of their software patents in jeopardy. Both
| sides agreed companies increasingly use a complex mix of proprietary and open
| source code that can be complex to manage.
|
| "We worked with one company who thought they had 25 instances of open source
| code in their software, but it turned out they had 75," said Beyers of
| HP. "This has to be managed with a lot of rigor and precision," he added.
|
| In one well known example, Linksys had to release as open source code
| valuable proprietary software used in one of its home routers because it
| infringed a Linux license, said Mark Gisi, a senior IP manager for Wind
| River. "It shifted the whole market," he said.
|
| "By and large a number of engineers are starting to come up to speed on open
| source IP issues and the legal community is starting to come up to speed on
| it, too, but these two groups need to work together to resolve the issues,"
| Gisi said.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/04/digiums_open_so.html

Recent:

GPL Project Watch List for the Week of 04/04/08

,----[ Quote ]
| GPLv3 adoption surpassed 50% of projection
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/04/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of.html

How The GPL Can Save Your Ass

,----[ Quote ]