[News] Review of Mozilla-derived Songbird and the Latest Opera

Songbird media player: the love child of Mozilla and WinAmp

,----[ Quote ]
| Songbird also includes built-in web browsing capabilities and offers a unique
| page API that enables web content creators to interact with the media player.
| When given permission by the user, web sites can use the Songbird page API to
| retrieve information about currently playing tracks, create playlists, and
| interact with the user's media experience in other ways. Some independent
| labels like Matador even use the APIs to turn Songbird into a user-friendly
| music store for their content. Since these capabilities are all documented,
| anyone can use Songbird as a platform for building new content distribution
| channels and innovative web-based media services.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080416-songbird-sets-music-free.html

Taking a closer look at the Opera browser

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing that strikes you immediately when you start up Opera is
| the “speed dial”. This is where you can have up to nine thumbnails of
| websites (which you can specify) and by clicking on one of the thumbnails,
| you can be taken directly to that site. So obviously you would enter the
| URL’s of the sites you visit most often.
|
| [...]
|
| All in all, Opera makes an excellent alternative to Firefox and one well
| worth downloading. But if extensions is something you highly value, you may
| end up being highly disappointed as I don’t think the Opera widgets match up.
| But if all you want is a browser to access the net, Opera is a strong
| contender.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/taking-a-closer-look-at-the-opera-browser/

Not free software though. Still, much better than what Microsoft was /ever/
able to achieve.

Recent:

Songbird 0.3 Is Launched!

,----[ Quote ]
| Big news! Today Songbird shows some wing, shows some leg and leaps media
| players into the next era of innovation.
`----

http://www.songbirdnest.com/node/2245

Related:

Software Review : Songbird -Impressive Media Player For Linux and Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end I can say it is one of the best looking Media players to
| look to in coming future expect Songbird to rise further and become
| popular in coming days as songbird reaches its final release.
| Songbird has a potential to do in media players what Firefox did in
| browser market.
`----

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2007/03/software-review-songbird-impressive.html

Songbird to support Apple Fairplay, Windows Media DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source media player Songbird will be able to play DRM
| protected downloads from Apple's iTunes music store as well
| as from Yahoo Music Unlimited and similiar outlets using the
| Windows Media Playsforsure DRM - as long as you are using
| OS X or windows, that is.
`----

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-243.html

Mozilla + iTunes + Rhapsody = Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord calls Songbird a "mashup between a Web browser and a media player,
| creating a new class of app I call a Web player." Songbird will support all
| open file formats but it will also support codecs (define) and Digital Rights
| Management (DRM) in Windows media, VLC and Quicktime. That means it can play
| the iTunes AAC file format, XviD, Ogg Vorbis and WMV files.

Songbird: The Firefox of Media Players

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox is not only a fine web browser, but the code it's based on
| is a standardized open-source framework that other applications can
| use take as a basis, using XUL--eXtensible user-interface language
| (pronounced ZOOL). XUL apps work across platforms and can either
| be internet-connected or standalone.
|
| Today we'll take a look at one of the most appealing XUL
| apps--Songbird, from Pioneers of the Inevitable, Inc, which
| claims folks who've previously worked on Winamp and Yahoo!
| Music Engine.

Songbird aims to be the Firefox of media players

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/11/01/songbird-aims-to-be-the-firefox-of-media-players/