[News] GNU/Linux: Everything Including the Kitchen Sink (But Can Be Lighter)

Get rid of your Linux bloat. Part 1.

,----[ Quote ]
| While Linux is pretty snappy and can run quite easily on far lower
| specifications than other operating systems most distributions are configured
| less than optimally.
|
| This is because Linux distributions are configured to run on everything
| including the kitchen sink (don't laugh, it may happen one day. "Hey you, you
| didn't clean that dish properly. Do it again." Errm. back to reality) so it
| can install on all computers with no hassle. Much the same as proprietary
| systems are configured. However us Linux Borg have an advantage. We can do
| something about it and quite easily.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/get-rid-of-your-linux-bloat-part-1-23806

Hardware vendors like Intel will continue to fear and antagonise anything
that's not bloated.

Related:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218