[News] [Rival] Windows Bot Armies Part of the Microsoft Ecosystem?

Windows (in)security and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows security is a good gig. (Picture from BuyersMLS, which has many other
| old TV mash-ups.)
|
| McAfee Inc. is worth over $5 billion and Symantec (which also does other
| things) is worth over $14 billion.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2288

Wow. Windows botnets are great. They cost society only hundreds of $billions
per year, but some business pocket the cost of that pain... AV vendors and
criminals. Truly a profitable ecosystem Microsoft grew there...

Days ago:

McAfee's libel against open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone at McAfee thinks that the correlation between botnets and open source
| is clear, but I am struggling to grasp any connection between the two.
| Perhaps this is just one more example of McAfee's dubious grasp on reality
| when it comes to open source. Remember its statement that open-source
| licensing is a threat to its business?
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9917989-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

McAfee throws some FUD at the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| In its annual report, Windows security software vendor McAfee told its
| investors that open source software licence terms it vaguely characterised
| as " ambiguous" might "result in unanticipated obligations regarding our
| products."
|
| [...]
|
| That statement says several things. First, it reveals that McAfee does use at
| least some open source software derived code in its products. Second, it
| betrays that McAfee has misappropriated that open source software and thus is
| committing copyright infringement, because it doesn't distribute that open
| source software derivative source code. Third, by calling its products that
| include open source software code "proprietary", McAfee shows that it really
| doesn't want to shoulder its GPL licence obligations, but instead wants to
| both have its cake and eat it too.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/05/mcafee-throws-fud-gpl

We’re not thieves. We just can’t read contracts (McAfee and Open Source)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/insights/2008/01/11/we%E2%80%99re-not-thieves-we-just-can%E2%80%99t-read-contracts-mcafee-and-open-source/
http://tinyurl.com/39pjml