Re: [News] More Patent Lawsuits, Novell(Microsoft) Defends Patents

____/ 7 on Wednesday 16 April 2008 21:19 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Top Hard-Drive Maker Files Suit Against Rival
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Seagate Technology, the largest maker of computer hard drives, made a
>> | pre-emptive strike against an emerging competitor on Monday when it
>> | filed a lawsuit in federal court accusing STEC Inc. of patent
>> | infringement.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15

technology/15seagate.html?_r=2&ex=1365998400&en=3570cdcf8e4cb641&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

> In my opinion this is a mistake for seagate$. They should get down to making
> hard drives and SSDs by setting up standards instead of focusing
> on lawyers like SCO$ did as offensive weapons.
>
> The real weapons are already selling well in the market place.
> 1Tb hard disks are more silent and faster
> with bigger cache and for the price of 85 pounds (+VAT) (www.ebuyer.com),
> a Samsung is half the price - if you can get it - some 800 pieces sold in
> the last two days! Seagate$ engineers and management have
> to work incredibly hard to stay in the race but instead, they are
> deluding themselves and falling
> by the way side like SCO$ resorting to unwinnable patent fights.
>
> Management engaged in patent terrorism is not going to stop the
> massive influx of SSDs and 1Tb+ drives.
> The market is just too big.
> Its management thats just too narrow.

I don't like Seagate. They are claimed to have reliable hard drives, but the
two externals that I have from Seagate 'disconnect' sometimes (incomplete
Linux support), which is a problem if you run backup scripts as cron jobs.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Swap:  1510068k total,   458468k used,  1051600k free,    53820k cached