[News] Linux Gets More Sophisticated in Face of Memory Errors; OpenSolaris Preview

  • Subject: [News] Linux Gets More Sophisticated in Face of Memory Errors; OpenSolaris Preview
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:11:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Kernel space: memory allocation failures

,----[ Quote ]
| If your production Linux system is logging memory allocation failures, it
| might still be able to keep running. But developers want to keep an eye on
| which code can survive a shortage of memory.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/041508-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Eventally, it's all down to the kernel. OSolaris can run all the same
applications and look identical.

BeleniX 0.7 OpenSolaris Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Long before Sun's Project Indiana came about, BeleniX has been one of our
| favorite GNU/Solaris distributions. BeleniX has been a LiveCD based upon
| OpenSolaris, but with yesterday's release of BeleniX 0.7 it is now a
| source-level derivative of the Project Indiana blend of OpenSolaris. Today
| we're taking a quick look at this new release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=belenix_07&num=1

Related:

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]