[News] Oracle Subsidiary Supports MySQL, Oracle Archiving Leaves Microsoft Behind

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Subsidiary Supports MySQL, Oracle Archiving Leaves Microsoft Behind
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:06:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oracle Subsidiary Innobase OY Releases InnoDB Plug-in for MySQL 5.1

,----[ Quote ]
| An early adopter version of InnoDB Plug-in for MySQL 5.1 is available
| under the GPL open source license and can be downloaded for free at
| http://www.innodb.com/support/downloads/.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/04-15-2008/0004792764&EDATE=

Oracle jumps into archiving; can Microsoft be far behind?

,----[ Quote ]
| To me this still leaves open the question of why Microsoft doesn’t just add
| archiving to Exchange, but Babineau pointed out the folks from Redmond
| already dipped a toe into the archiving market with FrontBridge and didn’t
| get too far.
`----

http://storage.blogs.techtarget.com/2008/04/15/oracle-jumps-into-archiving-can-microsoft-be-far-behind/

Recent:

Expert: White House Negligent on E-Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| The White House e-mail troubles began in 2002 with a decision to upgrade
| electronic message capabilities and move from Lotus Notes to Microsoft
| Exchange.
|
| Prior to launching Microsoft Exchange for e-mail, there should have been
| full-scale testing of an archiving system, e-mail experts said. In addition,
| both the existing archiving system and a new one should have run at the same
| time until the new system was fully proven.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080303/white_house_e_mail.html?.v=1

Related:

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
| Farnan gave Intel 30 days to recover as many of the missing e-mails
| as possible and to draw up a report on the steps it is taking to do
| so, Mulloy said.
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two (Bob Cringely)

,----[ Quote ]
| "So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's
| hardware OEMs, which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending. ..."
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

,---[ Quote ]
| In May 2004, Judge J. Frederick Motz ordered Microsoft to
| investigate Burst.com's claim that, in 2000, Allchin ordered
| Microsoft employees to destroy email after 30 days and not to
| archive their email, suggesting that this deletion policy
| might be an effort to eliminate material that would later be
| damaging in court. This case was settled out of court in March
| 2005, with Microsoft agreeing to pay Burst.com $60 million
| for nonexclusive rights to Burst.com's media player software.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

Bush team deletes embarrassing emails

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the Washington Post, countless e-mails to and from
| many key White House staffers have been deleted to avoid
| congressional subpoenas.

Virgin Media taps Microsoft in lengthy email outage

,----[ Quote ]
| A mysterious configuration problem was identified on one of VM's eight email
| server clusters last Wednesday. Microsft engineers have struggled to identify
| the cause, forcing several reboots.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/18/virgin_blueyonder_email_outage_microsoft/

[Australia:] WA infrastructure dept close to e-mail disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Western Australia's Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI)
| has revealed its Microsoft Exchange-based e-mail system is
| suffering frequent outages that are creating a risk of
| embarrassing public data loss.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/WA_infrastructure_dept_close_to_e_mail_disaster/0,130061791,339274592,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/395b26

Why Exchange could be in trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| Because Exchange is a whole other world, and, even with the large
| Exchange community, I find it equally opaque at times.
|
| So, for now at least, we went to the tried and true
| Postfix+Courier-IMAP solution that is ever so common in
| UNIX shops, companies that are open to using Linux, and ISPs.
`----

http://www.techevangelism.com/2007/06/06/why-exchange-could-be-in-trouble/

Specsavers opens eyes to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The group aims to have made the same transition across all its 960
| stores with Redhat, a version of the Linux open source operating
| system, being used to run its retail computer terminals. Four
| thousand of these have been transitioned so far, with another
| 4,000 still to be done in other countries.
|
| Its point of sale machines will also be moved to Linux, as will
| the servers running its stores and regional headquarters. The
| firm's large-scale data centre in Guernsey will be running Sun
| Solaris. It has also invested in an open source accounting
| package to run its financials outside the UK, which it is under
| an agreement not to name. The UK system won't change, said Khan,
| because he believed that "if it ain't broke, you don't fix it".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/14/specsavers_open_source/

Read the Exchange 2007 small print

,----[ Quote ]
| Hmmm. Simplification? Sounds more like a way for Microsoft to wring
| more dollars from customers, to me.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=175

Exchange 2007 facing integration issues with other Microsoft software

,----[ Quote ]
| In a nutshell, Exchange 2007 can't run on Microsoft's most
| current virtualization software, Exchange's management tools
| won't run on the just released Vista desktop operating system
| and the 64-bit messaging server is not compatible with Microsoft's
| forthcoming 64-bit server operating system called Longhorn.
|
| [...]
| In any case, users are already reacting, especially in regards to |
| virtualization, which has become a hot bed of networking activity, as well
| as, a major area of competition for Microsoft with VMWare and open source
| Xen on Linux platforms
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/011107-exchange-vista-integration.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Users, analysts: No rush to adopt Exchange 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista isn't the only recently released Microsoft software
| that will give users headaches when they upgrade their systems.
| Corporate users, partners, and analysts said upgrading to Exchange
| Server 2007 from previous versions also may be a lengthy and
| painful process for companies, which may want to take a
| wait-and-see approach to the new software.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070203/tc_infoworld/85730

Open source email is the future - Synaq

,----[ Quote ]
| "We continue to receive very positive feedback from clients that have
| committed to a migration from traditional email platforms, Exchange and other
| messaging infrastructure. Clearly, there is an association between
| Linux-based technology and benefits such as improved operational efficiency,
| higher levels of infrastructure management and control, as well as lower
| total cost of ownership," he adds.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1608

Multifunction Open-Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, 23% of the nearly 1,000 IT managers and C-level executives who
| responded to the survey said they planned to migrate from Microsoft’s
| Exchange Server (www.microsoft.com) and replace it with a Linux
| (www.linux.org) or open-source messaging platform in the next 12 to 18
| months.
`----

http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Fp2934%2F32p34%2F32p34.asp&guid=&searchtype=&WordList=&bJumpTo=True
http://tinyurl.com/394y23

Microsoft quietly patches Windows Live OneCare to fix Outlook problems

,----[ Quote ]
| As noted by various Microsoft watchers, the OneCare-Outlook problems are
| not new. A number of customers have been reporting "OneCare ate my e-mail"
| problems since late January.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=316

Vista: What To Do When You Cannot Delete a Message in Windows Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are experiencing problems with Windows Mail and
| deleting messages from the Inbox and Outbox. The message will first
| become unviewable in the reading pane and will then generate an
| error when you try to delete it.
`----

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2270/vista_what_to_do_when_you_cannot_delete_a_message_in_windows_mail

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

Small Player Scores Big Open-Source Win

,----[ Quote ]
| In the scrappy open-source software world--where software is developed
| in the open, rather than within the confines of corporate
| patents--successes are hard-won and often come in small chunks.
| Typically it's a few thousand government employees in Munich,
| Brasilia, or Amsterdam who begin using the Linux operating system
| or the Open Office suite of business programs, shunning comparable
| offerings from the likes of Microsoft.
|
| But a deal announced Feb. 26 was on an entirely different scale.
| 1&1 Internet, the world's largest Web hosting company, said it
| will roll out 1 million e-mail accounts this year running on
| Open-Xchange's open-source software.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2007/tc20070226_455515.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_more+of+today's+top+stories
http://tinyurl.com/2jbtpz

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/