[News] Linux-based Chumby Open Made in Every Sense

Programmers, DIY Types Embrace Soft, Hackable Chumby

,----[ Quote ]
| "The key part of the Chumby's appeal is that it's an embedded-hardware device
| that's open," says Andrew Walton, a seasoned Linux programmer and Chumby
| software hacker who moderates his own Chumby-hacking forum. "Everyone's used
| to open source software, but with open source hardware it's a whole new game.
| When you combine them both, Chumby hackers can literally do anything they
| want."
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/news/2008/04/chumby_hackers

Yesterday:

Chumby Redux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that George is right about where I want him, I've started to think that
| maybe it's time to add a second Chumby to the family. The problem that I'm
| having more and more with George lately is that he is so useful at what he
| does I don't want to clutter him up with other things, or move him somewhere
| else, or experiment with him. In fact, if I tried to do any of those things,
| I would probably get in trouble with the rest of the family. He belongs in
| the kitchen doing what he is currently doing. His experimental days are
| basically over.
|
| I'd like to set up the new Chumby as an office assistant that lives next to
| my computer. Something I can use as a photo viewer, a news/weather/sports
| reader, a webcam viewer, and to just experiment with.
|
| I think I'll call her Gracie.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/chumby-redux

Recent:

Chumby maker nets cutest Series B round ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby Industries, manufacturer of the eponymous huggable touch-screen Wi-Fi
| widget gadget, announced Monday that it has raised $12.5 million in Series B
| venture funding. The lead investor in the round was JK&B Capital, but
| existing investors Avalon Ventures, Masthead Venture Partners, and O'Reilly
| AlphaTech Ventures also contributed.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9906360-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Chumby offers widgets of fun and data in miniature

,----[ Quote ]
| At its core, the Chumby is a tiny Linux-based computer stuffed into a soft,
| leather-like case that resembles a beanbag. It uses Wi-Fi to connect to the
| Internet, from which it downloads widgets that deliver specific bits of
| information to its 3.5-inch touchscreen.
`----

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/5608240.html

Related:

Linux-based programmable clock radio arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based Chumby started shipping in limited quantities in November.
| Designed for the bedside, desktop, and kitchen counter, the alarm-clock sized
| Chumby boasts hackable, open source hardware, software, and "outerware"
| (patterns are available for those wishing to dress their chumby in new
| jackets).

The Chumby: Fun, Hackable and full of Potential

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all I give the Chumby a big thumbs up. It's fun to use and easy to
| hack so it's perfectly suited to satisfy your inner geek. It's also useful
| and cheap enough that you can convince your non-geek Significant Other to buy
| you one. If the community comes through with a decent package repository and
| tools, I see lots of potential besides just playing Flash widgets. I just
| hope that they can fix the touchscreen's responsiveness when using your
| finger instead of a stylus or the tip of your nail.
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/96965/

Review: Chumby

| So far it’s a nice piece of gadgetry to have around. I’ve been enjoying
| letting it auto-cycle through a bunch of channels including Woot!, Google
| News, and others, and occasionally I lookup to see what the Panda at the zoo
| is doing, which is always fun. I also find myself occasionally playing one of
| the many Flash-lite based games around, so it’s a key tool for any
| procrastinator. I could also imagine using it as a reminder tool or alarm
| clock and even having it cycle through my pictures on Picasa. The
| possibilities are definitely endless.
`----

http://www.geek.com/review-chumby/

Linux gadget to replace the clock radio?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4509751265.html