[News] Free Software Scale Almost Doubles Every Year (Exponential Growth)

Open Source Projects double every 14 months!

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on the models developed for the "Exponential Growth of Open Source"
| study we calculated the time required to double the number of projects and
| the total open source code. It took approximately 13.89 months to double the
| total number of open source projects from 1995-2006.
`----

http://www.amit-deshpande.com/2008/04/open-source-projects-double-every-14.html

Recent:

The Total Growth of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The significance of open source has been continuously increasing over time.
| Our research validates this claim by looking at the total growth of open
| source. Our work shows that the additions to open source projects, the total
| project size (measured in source lines of code), the number of new open
| source projects, and the total number of open source projects are growing at
| an exponential rate.
|
| Our results open gates for further research around the growth of open source
| and the acceptance of open source in industry and government. Future research
| should explore questions like what factors are influencing this exponential
| growth, how source code growth relates to the number of engaged software
| developers, and whether or how long open source can sustain this exponential
| growth.
`----

http://www.riehle.org/publications/2008/the-total-growth-of-open-source/

Feeling the heat at Microsoft