[News] [SOT] Adobe Gives Back Some Privacy While Australian Government Takes It All Away

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Adobe Gives Back Some Privacy While Australian Government Takes It All Away
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:08:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Adobe Photoshop Express Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Statement for Terms of Service Issues:
| We've heard your concerns about the terms of service for Photoshop Express
| beta. We reviewed the terms in context of your comments - and we agree that
| it currently implies things we would never do with the content. Therefore,
| our legal team is making it a priority to post revised terms that are more
| appropriate for Photoshop Express users. We will alert you once we have
| posted new terms.
|
| Thank you for your feedback on Photoshop Express beta and we appreciate your
| input.
|
| -Adobe Photoshop Express Team
`----

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0803/08032801adobepsexpress.asp

GNU/Linux-compatible and a sign of things to come (all software going
Web-based).

Australia becoming a totalitarian state with email snooping to become the norm?

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland wants to let employers snoop on
| employees emails – without the consent of workers – as an anti-terrorism
| measure. Where do we draw the line on privacy?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17630/1105/

So, now they can freely read people's love letters under the disguise and
excuse of "stop terrorism".

Something has gone rotten in Australian politics (recent examples below).

Related:

Conroy announces mandatory internet filters to protect children

,----[ Quote ]
| "Labor makes no apologies to those that argue that any regulation of the
| internet is like going down the Chinese road," he said.
`----

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/31/2129471.htm

Australia to get net censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) will be able to
| force content providers to take down offensive material and issue notices for
| live content to be stopped and links to the content deleted.
`----

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22959799-5005961,00.html

Australia to extend web censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| Privacy advocates take a dim view of this proposal, naturally. Roger Clarke,
| chair of the Australian Privacy Foundation, said "This government's extremism
| has reached new heights today." He asked "How can a politician claim the
| right to hold office if they set out to undermine the critical democratic
| right of freedom of speech, and blatantly decline to evaluate the impact of
| measures put before the Parliament?"
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/09/26/australia-extend-web-censorship

Web 'censorship' bill brings police state one stop closer

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronic Frontiers Australia (EFA) has slammed moves to give the Federal
| Police powers to ban access to certain Internet content as "another step in
| Australia's descent into a police state".
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14570/1055/

Howard row over Wikipedia edits

,----[ Quote ]
| Staff in the Australian prime minister's department have been accused of
| editing potentially damaging entries in online encyclopaedia Wikipedia.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6961575.stm

Australia's porn-blocking plan unveiled

,----[ Quote ]
| While individual filters will be available beginning later this month,
| ISP-level blocking may take some time to implement. The Australian
| Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is currently planning a trial of
| ISP-level filtering in Tasmania that will inform the government's decision on
| a national launch.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6202226.html

NSW police to search computer networks

| The New South Wales Cabinet has approved new powers for police designed to
| help them track terrorist threats, fraudsters and paedophiles through
| computer networks.
`----

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/03/06/2182021.htm

Major Aussie ISP Telstra BigPond shafts open source OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Australia’s largest Internet service provider Telstra BigPond has removed the
| free open source office suite OpenOffice from its unmetered file download
| area following the launch of its own, free, hosted, office application,
| BigPond Office.
|
| [...]
|
| Our reader was outraged by Telstra’s move, which he sees as an attack on the
| open source software movement.
|
| “The principle of the matter upsets me,” he said. “The fact that BigPond has
| removed previously allowed open source software is un-ethical. They are
| discriminating against me, even though I pay the same as other customers.
| They are attacking the Free Software movement.”
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2007/12/18/major-aussie-isp-telstra-bigpond-shafts-open-source-openoffice/