[News] Linux Foundation Doing Fine, Not Interested in Advertising (Brainwash)

Return From The Mountain

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's not our job to advertise Linux."
|
| Yeah? Well maybe it's not and maybe that's the problem. It doesn't seem to be
| anyone's "job" to advertise Linux. Sure you use it and most assuredly you
| dump buckets of money into development and research, but in the final
| analysis, companies like IBM and HP don't see any significant financial gain
| from the desktop...it's a tool for them to achieve the profit they make from
| the server side.
|
| Big Iron.
|
| Big Money.
|
| Big Budgets.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/04/return-from-mountain.html

More for SaaS or ad-based software (headache to Microsoft):

Google, Salesforce link up for business apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9916859-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

| "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
| deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
| Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
| the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
| the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
| and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
| to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
| time."
`----

                        --- Microsoft, internal document
                                http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

The Economist de-rails Microsoft media love in

,----[ Quote ]
| Over to you, Rashbass: "It's kind of funny to hear Robbie Bach giving a
| talk on advertising and monetization when he just lost $300m in the
| last quarter." Oh dear.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/02/microsoft_marketing/

Microsoft Continues to Lose Online Popularity

,----[ Quote ]
| This week's Emarketer and Comscore reports drive home Microsoft's
| continuing fall from online
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070326/30668_id.html?.v=1

OS Advertising: Why Microsoft Is Still Lagging Behind

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2476&Itemid=449
http://tinyurl.com/2eqfye