Re: [News, sort of] Linux Computer Viruses hit one million

____/ Homer on Sunday 13 April 2008 13:24 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

>> (slightly modified)
>>

>> Dateline: 10 April 2408
>>
>> The number of Linux viruses...
>
> ...is effectively zero.
>
> You're over a week late with this April fool, Ghost.
>
> I was more interested in this article, which I stumbled upon whilst
> following links in the above:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7343156.stm
>
> It's ostensibly about Charlton "You can have my gun when you pry it from
> my cold; dead hands" Heston, the actor; right-wing fanatic; and advocate
> of America continuing to be a nation of gun-toting maniacs, resulting in
> tragedies like Columbine High. Apparently he died recently, although not
> from a gunshot wound, which would have been poetic justice.   Presumably
> this means we can now pry his instrument of death away from him at last.
>
> http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jOviKCYyP3Y
>
> The article, by Ozzie Clive James, does ramble a bit though. He goes off
> on a tangent about the Royal Mint at one point, and that's where I found
> this interesting morsel:
>
> "Americans go on minting one-cent coins even though it costs more than a
> cent to make each one."
>
> And here I was, rather naively thinking that America's debt was a result
> of its attempt to assimilate planet earth, but in actual fact it was due
> to the material cost of its cash being worth more than the face value.
>
> Oh well, maybe they could find a use for all those pennies as ammunition
> against the Iraqis, or whoever it is they're assimilating this month.

I've noticed a new trend. A few people who run applications using Wine find
some piece of spyware or malware, but the solution is very simple too because
the damage is 'boxed'. They can simply remove the junk from ~/.wine.

As more and more people will move to Linux with the comfort of the Windows
legacy, the advantage of moving to the FOSS apps ("burning the [legacy]
boats") will become more apparent.

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."
        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006
Tasks: 120 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie