[News] Sun Executive on Commitment to GNU/Linux

Mickos, As New Sun Exec: Linux Will Stay In LAMP

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are still committed," Mickos said. "If we are not committed, than any one
| of you can take the MySQL code and fork it to make a new MySQL product, which
| I am sure you would do" if Sun tried to converts LAMP to SAMP.
|
| Mickos was peppered with questions from the Linux crowd. "What is Sun's Linux
| strategy? What degree of freedom will the MySQL group have inside of Sun?"
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/database_apps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207100772

MySQL: Sun acquisition will propel business

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Stefonic, datawarehousing and Web 2.0 are currently two drivers
| for growth in the database market. "The reason why we see huge adoption in
| Web service (and e-commerce) companies, as opposed to banks and other
| traditional markets, is because these companies have new technologies in
| place; so it's a lot easier for them to adopt new technologies as well," he
| said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/041008-mysql-sun-acquisition-will-propel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

Sun Microsystems' Next Linux Move

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather, Sun is preparing to certify more of its servers for Canonical's
| Ubuntu Linux. The effort includes Sun's latest small and midsize business
| servers. In an interview with Reuters on April 2, Canonical CEO Mark
| Shuttleworth reinforced the growing relations between Sun and Ubuntu.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/71011-sun-microsystems-next-linux-move

Related:

Sun deploys Linux high performance cluster at Kuwait Oil Company

,----[ Quote ]
| Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) has deployed a Linux-based High Performance Cluster
| from Sun Microsystems to run its reservoir simulation software, increase its
| processing power, and enable the company to take critical business decisions
| faster than ever before.
`----

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.php?option=com_pressreleases&view=detail&pr_id=10633&Itemid=77&ln=en

Sun's X64-Based Streaming Server Runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn042607-story01.html