Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Office Adds Speed Bumps to Software 'Upgrade'

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS
<nospam@xxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:24:19 -0400
<mXkQj.20982$3v1.7566@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Bill Gates has been talking up Office 2007 ahead of its business
>>> launch
>>> on November 30. However, the recently departed deputy CIO of one of
>>> Australia's biggest government Microsoft sites believes introducing
>>> the new version of Microsoft Office may be the company's biggest
>>> ever disaster.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7234/53/
>

> Other quotes from the article:
>
> "...Office 2007 could well be a disaster that Microsoft has created for
> itself."

I for one don't see how.  Most Microsoft updates just go
in transparently (and rather sneakily).

> "the new version...is headed for a giant obstacle with major sites in both
> the public and private sector."

Some explanation will be needed here.  Is there a format
incompatibility?  No doubt previous versions of MS
Office have already been summarily patched to allow for
compatibility with O2007.

Microsoft may do a mistake once, but it's doubtful they'll
do it again here.

> "Dr Hodgkinson is fairly positive about the prospects in large enterprises
> of open source office productivity alternatives to Microsoft Office, such as
> Open Office.org 2.0."    heh!  This is a keeper.

OO does not meet my needs.  At best, it's a MS Word viewer.
At worst, it's nothing.

(Not that MSOffice meets my needs, either...but there are
packages out there to view MS Word files that don't need
the bulk of OO.)

> "...Dr Hodgkinson believes the signs are ominous for the fate of Office
> 2007."

News Flash!

Death of Windows/the Internet/Microsoft/Earth predicted yet again!

No film at 11.

> "This may well be the biggest disaster Microsoft has ever created for
> itself."
>

> He's about as prescient as you cola nutcases - no wonder he's "recently
> departed".

*shrug*

> ------
> | "Office 2007 reaped twice the amount of U.S. consumer dollars
> | during its launch week than Office 2003"
> |
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=1EL0PYUND4QNWQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197006187&_requestid=309515
> ------
>

> ------
> | Sales of Office 2007 are doing even better, up 100 percent compared with
> sales of
> | Office 2003 in its initial months. That led Office to account for 17
> percent
> | (by dollar volume) of all software sold at retail stores last year.
> | "It's a huge hit," Swenson said.
> http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9861625-56.html
> ------
>

> The good Dr. probably walked around the office on his last day mumbling
> "2008 will be The Year of Linux"

2038, you mean, and that's only because that's
(time_t) 0x80000000, which will make Y2K look like
a picnic if we don't convert to 64bit.

Fortunately, Linux 64 bit versions are available, as are
Windows 64 bit versions.  (Not sure how well the latter
actually *work*, but Windows' timestructures at least
aren't going to be bitten by that particular bug -- AFAIK.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
try our new color changing variant?