[News] [Rival] Microsoft Locks Rivals -- Including #1 Competition (Linux) -- Out of Its Mesh

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Locks Rivals -- Including #1 Competition (Linux) -- Out of Its Mesh
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:45:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ray Ozzie delivers with Live Mesh

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, the synchronization features that most of you will notice when you start
| up the Live Mesh are pretty cool. Unfortunately they aren’t even close to
| being finished. Mac support? Coming in the future. Nokia support? Unclear.
| iPhone support? Ask Steve Jobs (translation: will be very limited due to
| Apple’s complete control of that platform). Firefox support? Yes! Linux
| support? What’s that?
`----

http://scobleizer.com/2008/04/22/ray-ozzie-delivers-with-live-mesh/

They really beg for that EU embargo, don't they?

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
to Outlook Express"

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don’t laught, I
| subscribed back when Hotmail wasn’t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
| to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail’s interface was overhauled: it now
| has a “classic” interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
| limited, and a supposedly “Full” interface that should make it the equal of
| sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/hotmail_doesnt_work_with_firefox_2

US software lock-ins harm local bidders

,----[ Quote ]
| LOCAL IT developers are being stifled by the dominance of US software
| companies that hold on to government business through "vendor lock-in",
| industry observers say.
|
| [...]
|

| Senator Lundy said departments should look at the annual cost of fees for the
| right to use software and consider whether the money might be better spent on
| developing products based on open standards.
|
| "There should be an insistence now at the policy level on open standards,
| thereby limiting the capture proprietary software companies have had in the
| past," she said.
|
| "Then agencies can look at creating a more competitive environment that
| allows open-source software to compete, based on open standards."
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23501577-15306,00.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144591/meps_question_microsofts_eligibility_for_govt_projects.html