Re: Microsoft 'kill switch' resurfaces in Albany's Office apps

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wednesday 23 April 2008 15:57 : \____

> <Quote>
> Office applications in Microsoft's recently announced Albany software
> subscription bundle will collapse into limited functionality if users
> let their subscriptions expire, Microsoft said Monday.
>
> Albany's Office software will be installed locally, but if users let
> their subscriptions expire, they will not be able to create or edit
> documents. In addition, users will not receive updates to the OneCare
> security software.
> </Quote>

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/22/Microsoft-kill-switch-resurfaces-in-Albanys-Office-apps_1.html

It's actually quite a nice feature...

Not for the user though. For Microsoft. It's like a bent pistol that shoots you
right in the toe.

...And it can go AWOL, just like WGA. Remember the WGA fiasco (servers going
down, leaving users locked out)? Microsoft soon scraped it. Look what we had
just 4-5 days ago:

Microsoft accidentally delivers Office Genuine nagware

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is acknowledging that on April 15 it accidentally delivered its new
| Office Genuine Notifications to users outside of its planned pilot areas of
| Chile, Italy, Spain and Turkey.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft officials said earlier this month that the company planned to add
| the notification mechanism to Office for users in the four aforementioned
| trial countries — by making it a voluntary Microsoft update — so that it
| would remind repeatedly those running illegal copies of Office (or those
| deemed illegal by Microsoft’s Genuine Advantage mechanism) to stop running
| pirated software.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1348

Microsoft 'Albany' subscription--this must be a hoax

,----[ Quote ]
| Seriously, this is pointless junk. The only real value is to Microsoft who
| get to see usage patterns and understand how on-demand software is consumed.
| The offering itself is junk and a bit embarrassing when you consider that you
| can get all that and more online, with no installer, for free.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9922644-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Roy S. Schestowitz     | GPL - Global Programmer's Law