Re: Linux - so hard to use

____/ Kelsey Bjarnason on Wednesday 23 April 2008 12:08 : \____

> I fired up my package manager.  I selected "Koffice", clicked to accept a
> few dependencies, then selected "abiword" plus a plugins package.  Total
> about six mouse clicks.
>
> Two more, the process commences downloading the files, installing them,
> configuring them, doing all the necessary things.
>
> Meanwhile, I've got full-screen videos playing on the secondary monitor
> and I switched to Pan on the primary.  Completely forgot about Synaptic.
>
> Couple of minutes later, I noticed it sitting in the taskbar, switched to
> it and voila; it's completed.  An entire office suite plus an additional
> word processor, plus plugins, all installed with so little interaction I
> forgot it was even happening.
>
> Yeah, that's just _so_ freakin' hard to use.

With something like yum or apt you don't even need to move a peripheral
(mouse). You type in the application's name and wait (or do something else).
It's like tens of gigabytes of Free apps are already there on your desktop and
you just need to summon them.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"