Re: OOXML documents don't conform to OOXML standard ..

____/ Doug Mentohl on Monday 21 April 2008 20:23 : \____

> on 21/04/08 20:13 Tom Shelton wrote:
>
>> Doesn't seem unusual to me...  Office 2007 was out before the standard was
>> complete  ..
>
> Microsoft created both Office 2007 and OOXML. Are you seriously
> suggesting that the OOXML team never bothered to inform the Office 2007
> that a 'standard' was in the works. Or is it a mere marketing exercise
> as someone elsewhere said.

>From Microsoft's own manager:

“It’s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma [the European
standards group that has already OK’d OOXML] in the coming years, because we
don’t know what direction they will take the formats. We’ll of course stay
active and propose changes based on where we want to go with Office 14. At the
end of the day, though, the other Ecma members could decide to take the spec
in a completely different direction. … Since it’s not guaranteed, it would be
hard for us to make any sort of official statement.”

                –Brian Jones, Microsoft

http://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=3685&pagtype=all

There are already 4 'flavours' of OOXML. This is more like a fiasco.

“It’s a Simple Matter of [Microsoft’s] Commercial Interests!”

                –Microsoft's Doug Mahugh on OOXML fast track

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
 21:00:04 up 6 days, 19:12,  3 users,  load average: 1.41, 1.22, 1.19