Re: IBM, Linux, and the MICROSOFT FREE PC!!

____/ Robt. Miller on Friday 08 August 2008 15:00 : \____

> On 2008-08-08, Rex Ballard <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Aug 6, 2:18 pm, "Robt. Miller" <robtmil.kills...@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>>  About as well as Win95 did against OS/2.
>>
>> I think it might be the other way around this time.
>>
>> This time it's Microsoft scrambling to do damage control on an
>> unpopular product it can't fix in time to satisfy customers, and
>> they've already announced a "Legacy free" operating system to come out
>> **someday** but even they are looking at at least 5-10 year horizons..
>>
>> With no Bill Gates at the helm, no Gates family protection, and none
>> of the Gates contempt for the law, I don't think Ballmer has the guts
>> or the diplomacy to finess the OEMs, Corporates, and Institutions the
>> way Bill did.
>>
>> Microsoft has already lost over $100 million in market cap value.
>> Bill has been selling share as fast as 1 million shares a day for a
>> few years now, and Ballmer could be left holding the bag.
>>
>> It could be that it's OSS, ODF, and Linux that will be doing as well
>> as Windows 95 did against OS/2, and Vista that has become the new OS/2
>> 2.0.
>>
>> Remember, the big break between OS/2 and Windows was because OS/2 was
>> too resource hungry compared to Windows, and people just weren't
>> willing to pay the premium prices for extra RAM (4-8 megabytes cost
>> $100 per megabyte in those days).  Windows NT 3.x failed for the same
>> reason.  People weren't willing to pay $3200 for 32 megabytes of RAM.
>> Ironically Microsoft had to license OEMM from Quarterdeck to get a
>> workable memory management module for Windows 3.1.  Windows 95 did
>> hide a lot of the configuration ugliness.  IBM was still trying to
>> push token-ring, SNA, and APPC over TCP/IP and until Warp 3.0 charged
>> extra for TCP/IP.
>

>  I hope you're right but I won't be holding my breath.

There's little chance of IBM's desktop initiative being a little less
proprietary.

People might want:

"Free desktop"

Not

"Microsoft-free desktop" (which sounds 'anti-Microsoft', i.e. negative)

IBM lags behind Sun in that respect.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Ballmer O/S - so furious it may crash