Re: [News] 7% of the PCs in the UK Claimed to Have No Windows

> ____/ Felmon on Monday 04 August 2008 17:54 : \____
>
>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 08:39:23 +0000, Roy Schestowitz quoth:

>>> It's just one population. It would be bogus statistics, unless you study
>>> just E-bay users in Germany alone.
>>
>> I suppose it is impossible to get reliable statistics about this matter,
>> at least every figure is open to reasonable dispute. but I was curious
>> whether anyone knows the scene a bit, my only contribution being I figure
>> something must be going on in Germany given what I see on the newstands.
>>
>> but not in the university I know which at least in the humanities is all
>> Windows on the desktop though the server is some kind of Linux, I forget
>> which.
>>
>> Felmon
>
> Don't forget the tablets, the terminals, routers, PDAs, phones, computing
> cluster etc. The desktop is just one among many apparatuses that connect to
> the Net or perform some function on a processor (desktop processors, notably
> those x86 chips, only make up about 2% of the world's processors).

All the interest I hear about is on Mac and Linux.  Apple have done
themselves great favours through the success of the iPod, and offering
generally attractive products.  Mrs Mark's parents are using Apple OSX and
Linux and are very happy with them, previously, they'd been on Windows,
but were sick of the general unreliability of the system and explicitly
asked me to suggest something more reliable.

The only people I hear pushing Windows these days are those whose career
or job depends on it.  Everyone else has given up on it.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |